Pre-announcement ESPON Calls for Proposals (24/08 - 20/10/2011) - Update
Update 8 August 2011 – The ESPON 2013 Programme pre-announces the upcoming Calls for Proposals on Applied Research projects, Targeted Analyses, Scientific Platform/Tools projects and Transnational Networking Activities.
The Calls include four Applied Research projects under Priority 1, up to five Targeted Analyses under Priority 2, six Scientific Tools projects under Priority 3 and a call for proposal for Transnational Networking Activities by the ESPON Contact Point network under Priority 4.
The total available budget amounts to 7.417.176,09 €.
The Call will open on 24 August 2011. The deadline for submitting proposals is 20 October 2011.
Public and private bodies from 31 countries (EU 27 Member States, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) are invited to apply for these Calls. This means that researchers and research institutions, universities, scientists, experts and academics etc. from these countries can participate as partners in transnational project groups. The Call on Transnational Networking Activities is dedicated to the institutions confirmed as national ESPON Contact Points.
(1) Applied Research projects - Priority 1 of the ESPON 2013 Programme
The following four themes will be included in the Call:
- European Neighbour Regions (budget 750.000,00 €)
- Small and Medium sized Towns in their Functional Territorial Context (budget 650.000,00 €)
- The territorial dimension of Poverty and Social Exclusion in Europe (budget 750.000,00 €)
- Economic Crises: Resilience of Regions (budget 759.153,00 €)
(2) Targeted Analyses based on Expressions of Interest by Stakeholders - Priority 2 of the ESPON 2013 Programme
The Call shall include five projects:
- Growth Poles in South-East of Europe/GROSEE (budget 360.000,00 €)
- Key Indicators for Territorial Cohesion and Spatial Planning/KITCASP (budget 360.000,00 €)
- Liveable Landscapes for Sustainable Territorial Development/LIVELAND (budget 379.796,09 €)
- Landscape Policy for the 3 Countries Park/LP3LP (budget 360.000,00 €)
- North Sea - Spreading Transnational Results/NORTH SEA STAR (budget 340.000,00 €)
The themes indicated above for the Targeted Analyses will be included in the call under the condition that an agreement is signed with the stakeholders behind the project ideas. The themes will therefore only be confirmed by the day of launching the call on 24 August 2011. The themes finally included in the call will be made available on the ESPON website.
(3) ESPON Scientific Platform/Tools - Priority 3 of the ESPON 2013 Programme
The following six themes will be included in the Call:
- EU Territorial Monitoring and Reporting (budget 598.000,00 €)
- ESPON Atlas on European Territorial Structures and Dynamics (budget 150.000,00 €)
- Detecting Territorial Potential and Challenges (budget 350.000,00 €)
- Territorial Evidence Packs for ERDF Programmes (budget 500.000,00 €)
- ESPON Online Mapping Tool (budget 150.000,00 €)
- Territorial Monitoring in a European Macro Region – A test for the Baltic Sea Region (budget 360.000,00 €)
(4) Transnational Networking Activities by the ESPON Contact Point network - Priority 4 of the ESPON 2013 Programme
The proposals shall aim at supporting a targeted transnational capitalisation, awareness rising, exchange of experiences, participation, empowerment and dissemination of ESPON results and evidence. Projects shall activate transnational interest in ESPON results and knowledge by involving policy makers, practitioners and scientists, in particular those who would otherwise not be informed about ESPON.
The available budget for this call amounts to 600.227,00 €.
Potential beneficiaries of this call are only the institutions nominated by Member and Partner States that are confirmed by the ESPON Monitoring Committee as ESPON Contact Points (ECP).
How to Apply
The documentation related to the Calls, including the procedure for applying, the eligibility rules, the evaluation criteria and the submission material, will be made available by 24 August 2011 at the ESPON Website.
The ESPON 2013 Programme invites potential beneficiaries to the Info Day on Calls for Proposals and Partner Café on 13 September 2011 in Brussels. It will be the chance to get information on the new funding opportunities and to meet potential project partners. Deadline for registration is 2 September 2011 at 15h00. Register here.
ESPON Partner Café – Overview and LinkedIn Group
Researchers and experts that are looking for partners to prepare a proposal for are remembered to have a look at the overview of potential partners. The fields of expertise that are indicated in the overview offer a good impression of which institutes might be interested in the same research theme as you and might wish to join you in a Transnational Project Group. Overview
The ESPON Partner Café has its own LinkedIn group where potential partners can launch discussions and find partners to carry out ESPON projects. Visit the ESPON Partner Café LinkedIn Group here.
The pre-announcement of the Calls is published in the Official Journal of the European Union (reference: OJ, C 190 of 30/06/2011).
Potential applicants are recommended to take into account the legal framework accessible here.
Should you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact the ESPON Coordination Unit at email@example.com.