Newsletter of the ESPON 2013 Programme
Welcome to the seventh electronic ESPON Newsletter. It offers information on the latest developments within ESPON
This newsletter is special as it informs you on the launch of the newly adopted ESPON 2013 Programme and the first calls for proposals and interest.
EUROPEAN COMMISSION ADOPTS THE ESPON 2013 PROGRAMME
The European Commission adopted the Operational Programme for the ESPON 2007-2013 on 7 November 2007. The programme includes 5 priorities for operations:
- Applied research on European territorial development, cohesion and competitiveness shall continue.
- A new type of projects will be offered providing targeted analysis based on existing ESPN results to interested stakeholders.
- The scientific platform for ESPON including data, indicators and tools shall be maintained and further developed.
- Capitalisation of results shall be enhanced creating awareness of the European dimension of territorial development and stimulating transnational activities.
- Apart from Technical Assistance, the analytical character of the ESPON 2013 Programme requires specific analytical support.
You can access the adopted ESPON 2013 Programme by clicking [here].
PREANNOUNCEMENT OF THE FIRST CALLS FOR PROPOSALS AND INTEREST
The first calls for proposals and interest has been pre-announced on the ESPON website. A preannouncement will follow in the Official Journal of the European Communities. The pre-announcement should give potential beneficiaries and interested stakeholders sufficient time to reflect on opportunity and to start building partnerships for responding on the calls.
The 4 calls for Proposals and Interest that will become open on 21 January 2008 are the following:
(1) Calls for Proposals on applied research projects covering the following themes:
- Cities and urban agglomerations: their functionality and potentials for European competitiveness and cooperation
- Development opportunities in different types of rural areas
- Demographic and migratory flows affecting European regions and cities
- Climate change and territorial effects on regions and local economies
- Effects of rising energy prices on regional competitiveness
- Territorial Impact Assessment of policies
(2) Calls for Interest and ideas of stakeholders for using targeted analysis based on ESPON results.
(3) Call for Proposals on the ESPON 2013 database.
(4) Calls for Interest in the Knowledge Support System creating a pool of experts in the field of territorial research and analysis.