ESPON Locate - Territories and low-carbon economy
Theme: Low-carbon economy
One of the major challenges Europe’s regions and cities are confronted with is climate change and its potential physical, social, economic, environmental and cultural impacts. Climate change adaptation measures should help to moderate harmful effects and/or exploit beneficial opportunities for cities and regions. In this context, the development and maintenance of green infrastructure plays an important role, since green infrastructure helps for instance in alleviating floods, storing carbon or preventing soil erosion. Further reading.
- What do energy consumption patterns (distinguishing between renewable and non-renewable energy) look like in European regions and cities (broken down into private households, public buildings, economic activities (services, agriculture and forestry) and transport? How have they changed over the past 10 years in the different types of European regions and cities (i.e. capital cities, secondary growth poles, small and medium sized towns)?
- Are there particular types of European regions and cities that find it easier in making full use of their renewable energy potential? How could challenges existing in this context be overcome in different types of territories? (up to 5 case studies)
- What kind of action/policy is needed in what type of region/city to ensure a smooth transition to a low-carbon economy/lifestyle? How can regions and cities create framework conditions for unlocking low-carbon investment by the private sector?
- ÖIR, Austrian Institute for Regional Studies and Spatial Planning, AT (lead contractor)
- Energy Economics Group, Vienna University of Technology, AT
- Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research, DE
- Global Urban Research Unit, Newcastle University, UK
Project Support Team
- Domenico Gaudioso, Italy
- Anneloes Van Noordt, Belgium (Flanders)
Budget: € 686,600.00
Lifetime: June 2016 – November 2017
- Inception delivery, 18 August 2016
- Interim delivery, 17 February 2017
- Draft Final delivery, 17 July 2017
- Final delivery, 17 November 2017
Contact: Michaela Gensheimer, email@example.com
Further information: the full description of this applied research activity is available below.
|Interim delivery||3.67 MB|
|Interim delivery- annex||16.91 MB|
|ESPON Locate - Territories and low-carbon economy||323.77 KB|